Your digestive system depends on the presence of bacteria and enzymes to break down the food that enters your body. The chemical processes that take place in your body depend on many factors. Food that enters the body is chemically processed. Your gut must contain a variety of enzymes and bacteria to process all food and help your body take in all the vitamins and nutrients it needs.
Enzymes are complex protein molecules that trigger chemical reactions in your body. At the same time, to process different food groups, you need different enzymes, namely:
- alpha-galactosidase for processing legumes and cruciferous plants;
- invertase to break down sugar;
- amylase for the breakdown of carbohydrates;
- glucoamylase for carbohydrates;
- lipase is responsible for dissolving fats;
- cellulase for fiber;
- protease for the separation of carbohydrates into parts;
- beta-glucanase for cereals;
- pectinase for vegetables, berries, and fruits.
Enzymes are found in different types of foods, so your diet should be varied. If you exclude a certain product, your digestive system may suffer. You get enzymes from both plant and animal foods.
The digestive process begins in your mouth. When food enters your mouth, your saliva begins to break it down. Saliva contains enzymes that initiate the breakdown process.
Unfortunately, an unhealthy lifestyle, stress, unhealthy diet reduce the level of enzymes in your body. Some symptoms may indicate this problem:
- intestinal spasms,
- gas formation,
- regular heartburn
- frequent constipation or diarrhea,
- chronically decreased acidity of the stomach,
- decreased immunity and frequent morbidity.
- excess weight,
- diseases of the pancreas.
Breakdown of fats is just one of the processes that take place in your body. However, a lack of enzymes that break down fats leads to various health problems. Therefore, you should eat foods that contain lipase. The main stage in the breakdown of fats occurs in the duodenum under the influence of bile. If you are unable to consume enough foods with the necessary enzymes, your doctor may recommend medicines enzymes.
Also, you can try to improve your condition by eating foods such as:
- fruits (mango, pineapple, kiwi, papaya, grapefruit).
- seeds, and sprouted grains.
- legumes, especially lentils.
- whole grains,
- fermented foods like yogurt, sauerkraut, and kefir.
When doing this, try to consume fruits and vegetables raw. But if you have a gastrointestinal system, raw vegetables can make the situation worse. Therefore, you should stew or steam them.